Position Title: Medical Assistant
Status: Full Time- Union
Position reports to: Nursing Manager
Under direct supervision, determine reason for patient’s visit; assist with minor surgical/diagnostic exams; assist patients to understand recommendations given by their health care providers; performs patient care functions; post patient’s information to medical records; answer and screen medical calls; provide support in planning continuity of treatment.
- Take and record vital signs; report abnormal findings to provider.
- Perform: venipuncture; EKG; apply/remove dressings and bandages; collect non-invasive specimens from both adults and children; assist patient in ambulation/transfer; perform simple lab test; read PPD skin tests; perform visual acuity/audiometric screening; perform finger sticks; obtain throat swabs; perform ear lavage; administer medication/vaccines as per CMOAR policy/ procedure and scope of practice including Pulmoaid.
- Document reason for patient’s visit.
- Observe signs, symptoms and reactions and report unusual conditions as appropriate.
- Prepare consent forms as needed and required.
- Administer and document treatments as per policy and procedure.
- Maintain laboratory logs.
- Collect and label specimens; prepares appropriate lab slips with 100% accuracy.
- Prepare/assist the provider with examination and/or procedures.
- Provide patient/family education related to treatment and after care according to policy and procedures. Explain all procedures and treatments to patient prior to their performance. Assure patients/family’s understanding by obtaining verbal feedback or return demonstration.
- Adhere to infection control practices: Universal Precautions; Hand Washing; Sterile/Aseptic technique.
- Mathematical skills: add, subtract, multiply and divide.
- Respond to emergency situations according to established policies.
- Demonstrate knowledge in proper use of equipment and emergency procedures.
- Maintain a safe, clean work area.
- Maintain and observe ergonomics safety precautions.
- Promote cost effectives by utilizing equipment and supplies in an efficient manner.
- Maintain established stock levels in assigned areas
- Learn and use current MIS system.
- Adhere to HIPPA guidelines.
- Discharge and arrange follow up appointments.
- Document pertinent patient data.
- Assure timeliness of services rendered to patients.
- Assist with translation when necessary
- Assist Pharmacy Clerk, LVN and D.O.N. with monthly check medication expiration in the dispensary.
- Generate and route data forms to appropriate destination (billing, medical records, etc.).
- Review super bill forms.
- Organize time and promotes team effort.
- Maintain current CPR.
- Perform clerical duties as assigned.
- Attend in-services and/or trainings.
- Ability to lift/move up to 15 pounds.
- Other duties as assigned.
Observes CMOAR policy/procedures regarding conduct in the work place:
- Observe regulations on time card use and reporting
- Maintain attendance as per policy.
- Maintain a clean and safe work area.
- Observe Fire and Safety policy and procedures.
- Observe general Safety/Employee Health policies and procedures.
- Maintain a current annual health screening.
- Observe CMOAR Appearance/Dress standards
- Maintain the privacy and confidentiality of both client and employee with regard to medical records.
- Display clearly visible identification.
- Treat all patients with respect and dignity and adheres’ to the Patient’s Bill of Rights.
- Treats all employees with respect and dignity in accordance to non-discriminatory policy and procedure.
- Treat all employees/clients in a courteous and professional manner.
- Conduct only work related conversations when clients are waiting for service.
- Does not discuss other staff members, policies, problems or medical care in public areas of the clinic.
- Medical Assistant certification
- One-year experience in related field.
- CPR certification
- High School graduate or equivalent
- Basic computer skills
- Bi-lingual English/Spanish
- Flexible hours
- Willingness to travel (if applicable must have current driver’s license and vehicle insurance).